What is the Bureau of Gender Affairs?
- The Bureau of Gender Affairs is the national machinery within the Ministry of Social Services, Family and Gender Affairs responsible for the administration of gender issues, including men and women’s affairs.
Where is the Bureau of Gender Affairs Located?
- 106 Independence Street, Roseau, Dominica
- We are open:
Mon: 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m
Tue - Fri: 8:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m
Closed for lunch between: 1:00 p.m - 2:00 p.m
Is there a Gender Policy in Dominica?
- Yes, there is. It is a commitment from the Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica to the principle of gender equality at the national, regional and international levels. The goal of this policy is to promote gender equity, equality, social justice and sustainable human development in Dominica.
Is there a Sexual Harassment Act?
- No, there is none. However, provision is made in the Sexual offences Act which can be used to accommodate victims of Sexual Harassment. The Sexual offences Act is currently under review and gaps relating to Sexual Harassment will be sufficiently addressed in the revised act.
Where can a victim go to file a complaint against a perpetrator?
- The Bureau partners with different organizations to assist victims of Gender Based Violence. Complaints against a perpetrator can be lodged at any one of these institutions, namely:
- Dominica Council of Women
- Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force
- Legal Aid
- Social Welfare Department
Can I make inquiries or request information from the Bureau of Gender Affairs?
- Request for information can be made by any individual, department or organization providing that the information requested does not breach ethical obligation and client confidentiality.
Do you provide direct care or do you make referrals?
- The Bureau of Gender Affairs provides both direct care and referral services.
- Direct care is provided in the form of counseling to meet psychological needs through an in-take process.
- The BGA also guides victims to other relevant agencies that could provide assistance such as the Police, Legal Aid, Magistrate Court, Social Welfare Department, Adult Education Division, Health services and Housing Division.
Do you charge a service fee?
- All services are provided free of charge.
What are the upcoming events at the Bureau of Gender Affairs?
- Please visit our Calendar of Events for more information